Sunday, March 20, 2016

No more 23andMe testing in this household!

 
 
I have mentioned this several times in classes in recent weeks, but now it is time to put a more public face, uh, lipstick on this pig. If you are in the DNA testing marketplace for a DNA test right now my best advice is "DO NOT" do any genetic DNA testing at the company 23and Me. They have gone completely off the deep end in regards to those of us who are interested in genetic genealogy. Quite frankly I have never seen anything quite like it.
 
But hey, don't take my word for it. Roberta Estes on her DNAeXplained blog does a much better job at this point of explaining the issues than I would, but everything she mentioned in her post I have experienced first hand.
 
So if you have been thinking about testing at 23endMe for genetic genealogy purposes, be sure to read Roberta's comments in her Closing Up Shop at 23andMe and the Trap post.
 
Caveat emptor!