Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Recognizing AncestryDNA Test Taken Outside the US

Well I thought I knew what the answer was going to be, but I did have to ask.

Question from the old chief:

"Now that Ancestry has opened up testing outside the US will we be able to see those matches here on the US system? If so will there be a way to distinguish those matches from US matches (i.e. US Flag, UK Flag, etc)?"

Crista Cowan, the Barefoot Genealogist, got back to my FB query and here is her answer regarding my two part question:

"Larry - The AncestryDNA database is all one giant 850,000 genotyped members database. That means that regardless of where the individual happens to live, if they take the DNA test, they will show up in the database. And, if it turns out they are a match to you, they will show up on your match list. Use the SEARCH location feature to determine who in your match list has English ancestry."

So now you know the rest of the story.